Multiple dissolves with in a clip?

from the 1st dissolve the dissolve area transitions into color two and holds that color. Now the camera resets and the take starts over and a 2nd dissolve is needed. Is there a mark in button so that you can go back to color one and start a 2nd dissolve for the re-start of the take? Right clicking on “add dissolve” and “mark in” still keeps color two from previous dissolve. Is there a way to mark a NEW event with in the clip?

John,

Yes, you can do this. There is no limit on the number of dissolves you can add.

If I understand correctly, you want to break your clip into 4 parts

1. Take 1 part 1
  2. Take 1 part 2
  3. Take 1pu part 1
  4. Take 1pu part 2

To do this you will have to click ‘add dissolve’ 3 times… to demarcate where parts 2, 3 and 4 begin.

‘Mark dissolve in’ and ‘Mark dissolve out’ simply adjust the duration of the nearest dissolve, but do not add a dissolve.

If you want to copy the color from part 1 to part 3, the easiest way is to save a mem or still while in part 1 and then apply that color while in part 3.

So the full steps would be something like this:

1. Color part 1, grab a still
  2. Play forward to where color dissolve is needed.
  3. Click add dissolve P
  4. Play forward to where dissolve should end
  5. Click mark dissolve out ]
  6. Play into part 2 and adjust color as desired
  7. Go back to dissolve and adjust in/out as desired with [ ]
  8. Play til take is reset
  9. Click add dissolve to mark beginning of pickup
  10. Load color from part 1 using still
  11. If desired adjust dissolve in/out from previous take. Otherwise, leave it as a hard transition.
  12. Play forward to where color dissolve should begin.
  13. Repeat steps 3-7

I tried adding a new dissolve with in the same take by clicking add dissolve and then marking a new IN/OUT but it would never re-set my corrections. It always kept color two from the previous dissolve as the starting color for the 2nd dissolve. There needs to be a Mark or break in between the 2nd dissolve so that I can recall color one again and re-create a new dissolve with in the same take because the actors have reset and the take is starting over again. The only other thing I could do is add a bogus dissolve during the reset and then once they reset start my 2nd dissolve. It would be great if I could just right click and add mark IN where ever I want with in the clip. Does this make sense?

Right click and ‘add dissolve’ effectively does this. You can think of ‘add dissolve’ as ‘add break’ if you want. And then ‘mark in’ and ‘mark out’ just adjust the start and end of that transition.

The reason we do it this way is because otherwise there would be an ambiguity when you are in this situation:

Imagine you have two dissolves already from color a to b, and b to c. And you are now at the position in color b shown by the * the dissolves are shown as |...)

[----a----|....)---b----*------|.....)----c----]

If you hit mark dissolve in, then we would move the nearest dissolve in to the current position:

[----a----|....)---b----|...........)----c----]

If you hit add dissolve then we do this instead:

[----a----|....)---b----|--d---|.....)----c----]

Section d will start with the same color as b, but then you can adjust the color in that section without affecting b.

So yeah, the best way to think of it is that add dissolve is what chops up the clip into separate sections that can be colored independently, whereas mark dissolve in and mark dissolve out are what control how the color transitions between those subsections.